Cappelen Damm AS ("Cappelen Damm") strives to minimize our impact on the environment.
To achieve our goals, we work with the publisher's and partners' certifications. Cappelen Damm is certified according to Eco-Lighthouse, FSC and PEFC.
We regularly analyze our product portfolio to purposely work on further improvements. We prepare annual energy and climate accounts as well as Sustainablity Reports.
All the publisher's purchases of goods and services must be according to our requirements for sustainable procurement.
Cappelen Damm reserves the right to at any time and at our sole discretion, conduct evaluations of manufacturers and suppliers to ensure that they follow these guidelines.
• Eco-Lighthouse-certification is the most recognized environmental certification of office buildings in Norway, and has good HMS-routines and environmental and sustainability in focus. Environmental management also requires documentation and description of measures for energy efficiency, waste recycling, environmentally certified suppliers and procurement.
• Cappelen Damm's suppliers are assumed to have accepted the publisher's Code of Conduct.
The Code of Conduct constitutes an agreement that supports, respects and protects the rights of individuals and respects and protects the environment. This means regulated working conditions such as prohibition of child labor, no forced or involuntary employment, no discrimination based on race, religion, age, nationality, social or ethnic background and no discrimination based on sexual orientation or political opinions. The right to organize shall not be impeded. Health and safety must be safeguarded, and every employee's salary shall cover the employee's primary needs.
• We seek printing companies that have achieved ISO 14001 certification / EMAS, or other alternative environmental requirements.
Certification means that printing companies comply with their own environmental regulations and continuously improve its environmental performance. Printing companies not holding ISO 14001 certification / EMAS, are assumed to still work actively with the measures that are part of ISO 14001 / EMAS or alternative environmental certificates, and to work according to these requirements.
• We will use FSC certified (Forest Stewardship Council ™) or PEFC certified (Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification schemes ™) paper, where possible. The certification is based on sustainable forest management (traceability), replanting programs and lowest possible pollution and effects on wildlife, water, air etc. FSC also emphasizes the importance of protecting the rights of indigenous people. See also www.fsc.org and www.pefc.no.
• The publisher's products that are defined as toys have been tested and marked in accordance with the Toy Safety Directive and meet all regulatory requirements.
• We seek to discover optimal formats which enable as many printer companies as possible to print and produce in an efficient, economical way
• We are members of PREPS (Publishers' database for Responsible Environmental Paper Sourcing).
PREPS imprint technical specifications and details on the paper that is used, in which paper is graded from 1 to 5 (where 5 is the best). The grading indicates whether the material is legally manufactured (or recycled) and how the forest, as a source, has been managed. PREPS is continuously updated according to the developments occurring within the forestry and paper industry. We do not accept paper awarded grade 1.
• The REACH legislation is implemented in our agreements.
This EU legislation intends to improve and protect the climate and human health.
• Our main criteria for choosing suppliers
Our main criteria for choosing suppliers, besides our other requirements as described herein, is dependability, ability to respond through every part of the value chain and a desire to support supplier development and partnership. Based on the requirements described herein, our prices shall be leading and the quality shall fit the product.